Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Shannon's Cancer Spot

That's not really what it was...it was just a cell that stored fat ;o) .
Shannon has had this thing for years and it really worried me because we didn't know what it was, so I said, "You really need to find out what this thing is! For all we know it could be a cancer spot!" Apparently, your cells have an "on" and "off " switch that tells it to get rid of or store fat. Shannon's cell stored it and just kept getting bigger. It's funny...when I would put my arm through his, the lump was a perfect fit for the palm of my hand...lol
Shannon will now tell...in his own words...how cool the surgery to remove it was...
It was the coolest thing ever....the doctor made the incisions through the layers of skin and when he grabbed the lump with his tong like things, he had to basically wrestle it loose and cut it out. It was kind of attached or held in place by tissue and blood vessel looking things (I really don't know what it was). But it just reminded me of watching a show on Discovery several years ago that showed a baby being born by cesarean section. When he got it out, it looked like a piece of fat that you might see when you buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts. Then came the stitches....with the curved fish hook and the fishing line....I think there was about 5 stitches. The doctor then put some type of "glue" over the incision to hold it together from the outside while it healed.
I have a couple other small ones, but the doctor said he wouldn't take them out because they weren't big enough. Maybe one day they will grow big and have to be taken out....then I'll get to watch it again!!! :)

1 comment:

Peyton's Mom said...

Apparently, your cells have an "on" and "off " switch that tells it to get rid of or store fat. Shannon's cell stored it and just kept getting bigger.

Um - yeah....I've known about this for years....or, rather, my thighs have known!! ;)

And - um - Shan...."cool" is not a word I would think of to describe it! Glad you enjoyed it though!